The third edition of the Matimex International Architecture Prize requested innovative proposals reflecting on “The architecture of balance”.
Projects submitted analysed architectural spaces linked with the achievement of balance in the broadest sense, creating or renovating a space for taking care of our bodies while keeping our minds trained.
The contest encouraged reflection on architectural spaces dedicated partially or entirely to achievement of this balance, making use of Iris Ceramica Group materials. The judges took into account use of products with the ACTIVE Clean Air & Antibacterial Ceramic finish and large ceramic slabs in their appraisal.
Prizes in the “professional” category were awarded to:
- 1st prize in the professional category: Eco-Tulou. By LONG STUDIO. Marina Carpio Pérez and Alberto David Fernández González.
- 2nd prize in the professional category: Atmósferas. By Julia Molina Virués an Adrián Martínez Muñoz.
- 1st honourable mention: Yoga Interpretation Center in Bali, Indonesia. By W+M Design Studio. Titus Pandus Wismahaksi and Maria Nersiartista Putri.
- 2nd honourable mention: “Topografías de viento. Rehabilitación y Ampliación del Centro de Salud de Tarifa” (rehabilitation and expansion of Tarifa Health Centre). By Carlos Sánchez Sanabria and Verónica Rodríguez Vergara.
Prizes in the “student” category were awarded to:
- 1st prize in the student category: “Con 2000 años de historia. Centro de Inserción laboral” (Employment centre). By Pablo Robles López.
- 2nd prize in the student category: “SPA Star. Centro de bienestar de cuerpo y mente” (wellness centre for the body and mind). By Susana Café and Tiago Boieiro. Universidade de Évora.
In the third edition, Matimex awarded four special mentions to PIAM 2017 projects which were particularly appreciated, even though they did not win awards in any category. Special Mention winners were exhibited in the MAE showroom along with the prize-winning projects.
- Naturaleza Híbrida, by Vicente Pérez Hernández (Dual arquitectura).
- Se ruega no tocar, by Luis Navarro Jover and Carlos Sánchez García (La Errería*Architecture Office).
- Un barrio para todos, by Raúl Alejandro Martínez Medina (RAMM).
- El elogio del agua, by Benjamín Iborra Wicksteed (Mesura).
The panel of judges of the PIAM prize included:
- Federica Minozzi, GranitiFiandre S.p.A. CEO, Italy
- Juan-Luis Grafulla, Matimex Director and General Manager.
- Carlos Lamela, Architect. Executive Chairman of Estudio Lamela.
- Carlos Martínez, Architect, Manager of L35 Arquitectos, Madrid.
- Nini Andrade Silva, Interior designer and painter. Founder of Atelier Nini Andrade Silva, Funchal and Lisbon.
- Jacinto Arenas, Architect. General Manager of Ares Arquitectos, Mexico.
- Isabel López-Vilalta, Interior Designer. Founding member of Isabel López-Vilalta + Asociados.