The fifth edition of the Matimex International Architecture Prize requested innovative proposals reflecting on "Residential Architecture. Spaces for Coexistence".
A motto that encompasses any project related to private residential architecture, both at an urban and a domestic scale, responding to the challenge of adapting architecture to the new social needs of coexistence.
Housing is not only a fundamental human right, it also reflects the society of a country, a city, a neighborhood and even of each individual. Demographic, cultural, economic and environmental diversity echoes in the typologies of housing; the aggregation of dwellings generates the image of the city while each user constructs the personality of his or her own intimate space from the minimum private scale to the global public scale.
The contest encouraged reflection on architectural spaces making use of Iris Ceramica Group materials. The judges took into account use of products with the Active Clean Air & Antibacterial Ceramic™ finish and large ceramic slabs in their appraisal.
Prizes in the “professional” category were awarded to:
1st prize in the professional category: "ROCA TALLADA"projected by Javier Serrano Fajardo and Juan Copado Bocero.
2nd prize in the professional category: "LIKE A TAPESTRY" projected by Adrián Martínez Muñoz.
- "EL GRAN BADIU" designed by MESURA&TOIT
- "CASA DEL DESCANO" designed by MAD ESTUDIO
Prizes in the “student” category were awarded to:
1st prize in the student category: "SKYGARDEN" projected by Sira Rivero Domínguez.
2nd prize in the student category: "SEGUNDAS VIDAS. RE-HABITAR LA TRADICIÓN" by Eva Moreno Álvarez
In the fifth edition, Matimex awarded four special mentions to PIAM 2019 projects which were particularly appreciated, even though they did not win awards in any category:
- "PEER-TO-PEER (P2P O RED ENTRE IGUALES)" by La Erreria.
- "CSH#119" by La Reina Obrera.
- "EL REGRESO A LA CIUDAD: VIVIENDA COLECTIVA PARA EL CENTRO HISTÓRICO DE CUENCA" by Francisco Esteban Ayala.
- "DESIERTO MODO: LA LENTITUD COMO HIPÓTESIS DEL ESPACIO ARQUITECTÓNICO" by Víctor Hugo Vásquez Ruiz.
The list of members of the jury includes the following personalities:
- B+R. Esteban Becerril and Ramón Ramírez. Architects. Founding partners of B+R Arquitectos Asociados, Spain.
- Juan-Luis Grafulla. Director and General Manager at Matimex, Spain.
- Mário Martins. Architect. Founder of Mário Martins Atelier (MMA), Portugal.
- Federica Minozzi. CEO at Iris Ceramica Group, Italy.
- Fran Silvestre. PhD in architecture. Director of the March Architecture and Design Master Program. CEO at Fran Silvestre Arquitectos.
- Julio Touza. Architect. President of TOUZA Arquitectos.